Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Huck: Confession time.

I have a confession to make. This isn't easy for me, but I can't keep it in any longer. Okay, here it goes ... sometimes I freak out. I freak out when I meet new dogs. I freak out when new people come to our home. I freak out when people I don't know approach me or stare at me. And we all know I don't like to be separated from my mama for too long. (See my May 13 entry). I guess you could define one of my "freak outs" as screeching (not barking) uncontrollably, spinning, jumping and other Tasmanian Devil-like behavior. In Dog Whisperer-speak, I am not "balanced."

This has been a problem for Mama and Papa. They have done all they know to help me and they continue to do research. Last year Mama asked Mr. Scott, a very nice and knowledgeable local dog trainer, to come to our house and work with me. I really improved through those sessions and I have made a lot of progress since then. Mama has, too. She said working with me has helped her build confidence. I truly am a lot better. But I'm not all better. Mama has Googled for information. She has visited the websites of Cesar Milan (aka The Dog Whisperer) and Patricia McConnell. She has stayed in contact with Mr. Scott and he says I have something similar to an anxiety disorder. You know, like when people have panic attacks. Mama said she thinks she may have figured out another part of the problem: her. I think she could be right. She loves on me and coddles me and worries about me an awful lot. I do have some issues stemming from being abandoned on the side of the road as a puppy, and because of that I think she has tried to make up for my scary and traumatizing experience.

This is where Papa comes in. The timing couldn't be better. Papa recently retired and now that he is home with us more he will be able to work with me. It was his idea that if he developed a close, healthy bond with me, then I would not be so dependent on Mama. I could become a more confident dog. I think he's got something there. Last night Papa took me for a walk. Mama said it took everything for her to not voice her worries. She was afraid I would "freak out" at the neighbors. Well, she let Papa handle me and all went very well. As a matter of fact, I let one neighbor lady who I've never gotten close to pet me. And she's afraid of dogs. Talk about a successful evening walk. When the little red dog from another neighborhood came charging at me, well, I didn't take to that too well. Mama said he is a nice dog, but he still made me nervous. Mama thinks that when she walks me that her nervous energy travels down the leash right to me. She said that both of us need to work on our anxiety. Aren't we a pair?

Okay, so confession time is over and I feel as though a big weight has been lifted. Now on to learning to deal with everyday situations with grace, dignity and confidence. With Mama and Papa's help and all the prayers they send up, I just know things will get better.

Goodnight,
Huck

Here I am with my brother Hobbit. I don't "freak out" 
around him because he is a nice, calm little doggy.

8 comments:

  1. My goodness, Huck! You just described my sister, Bandit. She won't even let any of the humans in our house touch her! She is almost 6 years old and has only let them touch her a few times. They have to trick her to catch her to take her to the vet or trim her claws. Since they don't trim them very often, I stay clear of her.

    Hang in there, Buddy. Glad you dogs can be treated. I keep hoping that my sister will mellow with age.

    Your Pal,
    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Huck, don't worry. My dog Kelly is a bit like this too. She doesn't like other dogs we meet on the street. Maybe part of it is my anxiety coming down the leash to her. Also, separating from mom and dad is tough work. Just keep on loving, and feeling the love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day at a time. Step by step. Positive thinking works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Huck, We had separation anxiety too, because of our past. Our mom has helped us build our confidence by something very simple. She plays tug-of-war with us. And she lets us win. This is not good with aggressive dogs. But we are not aggressive. And it builds us up, because dogs are just wired that way! After a while, we have to work harder and harder to win. Love, Beau & Henry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Beau and Henry,

    Thank you for sharing. I will be sure to tell Mama about the tug-of-war game. We really appreciate your taking the time to write and give us suggestions.

    Love,
    Huck

    P.S. I like your names!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Winston's mom! You've met me and you know how wound up I can get, so thank you for your encouragement and support.

    Love, Huck

    P.S. My mama said to tell you "Happy Birthday on Saturday!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, Miss Peggy! Thank you for sending love my way. I will keep trying and so will Mama and Papa. Tell Kelly "hi" for me!

    Love,
    Huck

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Jade, my faithful friend [even though you are a cat ;)],

    You always have something nice and encouraging to say. I feel sorry for Bandit. If she would at least let her family love on her, then I know she would be more relaxed. I feel very comfortable around my family. Maybe too comfortable!

    We'll keep you posted as to any progress we've made. Thanks again for your support!

    Your Pal,
    Huck

    ReplyDelete