Tuesday, August 7, 2012

DogMom: Heavy Hearts for Hobbit

I've never written in The Doggy Diary before. This is a place for our doggies to share their thoughts and feelings, not me. I only serve as the editor. Tonight, however, I feel compelled to write. My heart is heavy. We all have heavy hearts here in our home.

Earlier today DogDad and I had to unexpectedly say goodbye to our dear, sweet, gentle little Hobbit. It was tough. Hobbit was a special little boy. He came to us as an injured homeless doggy who didn't understand treats, play or affection. We don't know what his first four years or so were like, but we were determined to fill the rest of his life with love, attention, comfort and happiness. Hobbit soon realized he was a part of our family. A "bone-a-fide" member of our family we would say.  Before long he was running to us when we got home from work, pushing the big red ball around and barking at it incessantly, and digging holes just big enough for DogDad (aka Poncho) to step into while mowing the grass. Hobbit loved his Poncho. He loved him very much. And Poncho adored him, too. They had a special relationship. Poncho would hold Hobbit a lot. Poncho's lap was Hobbit's favorite place to be. He would sleep there for hours, legs limp and mouth wide open. Sometimes even snoring.

Hobbit made us laugh and smile. He seemed to get cuter and cuter each day. He came into our lives at just the right time. He was what we needed when we needed it. Props to God because Hobbit was the answer to our prayers. Such an impact on our lives was Hobbit that I wrote about it in the June 2011 issue of Guideposts magazine. DogDad and I were thrilled that we could share Hobbit's story and how God used him to help us.

Hobbit, your Poncho and I miss you terribly. Gus, Buster and Abby miss you. You were a blessing to this family and we loved you with our whole hearts. That must be why they hurt so much. Say hi to Lindsey, Annie, Bogey and Huck. We'll see you all again. And when we do we will kiss you and love on you all like crazy. And, Hobbit, your Poncho will hold you as long as you like.

Thank you, Lord, for giving us seven years and ten months of joy, happiness and smiles with the funniest, quirkiest, cutest dog ... our furry little angel Hobbit.

DogMom

Handsome Hobbit 

Hobbit loved to dig. So many interesting smells! 

Hobbit's favorite place to be - on Poncho's lap.

Snoozing away on Poncho's lap. 

What a sweet, beautiful face.

DogDad, DogMom and dear little sweet Hobbit :)

Posing nicely for the camera on a snowy day.


On his favorite chair.

Discovering how fun playing with a Kong toy can be.

Hobbit loved his special little poochy bed. Just his size.

Perfect.

An afternoon nap after a day on the beach at Pawleys Island.

Hobbit enjoying his new surroundings in Georgia.
He loved this shady area of pine straw.




12 comments:

  1. Lifting you and DogDad up in prayers, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, So sorry for your loss. There isn't anything worse than having to say good bye to those who love us unconditionally and who we love deeply in return. They bring such joy to our lives and when they are gone the vacancy they leave is just terrible. I truly feel the pain you are going through as it rekindles the pain I have felt in the same situation. I have learned that it doesn't ever go away but the hope that we will one day be reunited is something to hold fast too. We learn so much from our four legged companions about how we should be that their loss is hard to endure - but endure we must for their brother and sister's sake. So sorry for your loss. Dad to Bozwell, Sarah, Echo and Gypsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm so sorry. Hobbit was so lucky to have gotten such a wonderful home with you and your husband. You filled his little life with love and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for all of you. I met you all through the Guidepost article and right away sought your blog. Hobbit always seemed a special little guy. The very sweetest of expressions. I sent you an article from Guideposts about do pets go to heaven. You know I believe this with all my heart. How could heaven be Heaven without my furbabies? I know my Jazz waits patiently for me. And Poncho, until you get there yourself, I'm sure Jesus will let Hobbit sit on His lap. Know that I am thinking of you and know that you provided a wonderful life for Hobbit. He loved you as dearly as you loved him. Beth, auntbeth54@yahoo.com Mom to 3 dogs: Beau, Henry and Monique and 2 cats Zephyr & Flame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a beautiful image ... Hobbit sitting in Jesus' lap.

      Delete
  5. I am the Mom to Bozwell, Echo and Sarah and am not at home with them right now but in Florida visiting. Of course, have laptop...will travel! When I read your posting I sat here and tears rolled down my face. I too found your article in GUIDEPOSTS and signed up for postings from your blog. I am so, so sorry but I know that "Anonymous" is correct...Jesus' lap is big enough for all of us and our beloved pets. The best is yet to come when we are all united. Still, special hugs to you as you go through this sad time. :)+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for following our dogs. We appreciate you all caring like you do.

      Delete
  6. I just read the back issue of Guideposts and looked up your blog. My heart breaks for you all in the transition of Hobbit. We don't have two-legged children either and I completely identify with the incredible, unconditional bond to the four-legged kids. Lifting you up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading about our little family and for your kind words.

      Delete