Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Buster: Restin', Eatin' and Walkin'.

Well, I've been home now for almost six days and, boy oh boy, I'm sure glad to be here. Ever so slowly I'm coming along, eatin' just a little bit more each day. I gotta  tell ya, I'm getting kinda tired of boiled chicken, but the vet says I gotta stick with bland food for now. Maw and Paw try to mix white rice in with the chicken, but I just pick out the meat. I started out eatin' tiny, itty bitty scraps of chicken. Now I'm eatin' bigger pieces. Maw thinks I've eaten about two chicken breasts (skinless and boneless) in the past 24 hours. That's an improvement. Especially 'cause I'm still gettin' sick ever' now and then. That's purdy worrisome for Maw and Paw. They talked to Kim, one of the vet students at Virginia Tech Vet Hospital, and she consulted with the surgeons. They seem to think that because I'm still healin', these vomitin' episodes might occur ever' now and then until I'm better. One of our local vets, Dr. Warner, said for Maw and Paw to feed me more often to keep food in my tummy. That gastric acid on an empty belly can make ya feel sick. He also told Maw to give me Pepcid. So, now I take that and Prilosec at night. Those are people medications that are supposed to help my stomach work correctly. To help coat my belly, Maw has to give me sucralfate in liquid form three times a day. Yuck! I'm not fond of that, but I try to be a good boy and take it without too much fuss. Tomorrow is the last day I have to take antibiotics, and I'm happy about that. So, I'm feelin', eatin', and lookin' a little better, but it just seems to be takin' a while for me to bounce back. I guess havin' surgery on yer stomach can set ya back a bit.

The best way to know how well I'm doin' is to watch me walk. Maw took a video of me last night trottin' down the street. See? I'm gettin' some spring back in my step!


Today I got a letter from, Lara, one of the Virginia Tech vet students that took care of me. Isn't that nice? She sent me a get-well note! I remember her very well. She was kind and gentle with me. She also sent a lovely letter to Maw and Paw. They were very touched. I wish I could have gotten my picture taken with her before I left the hospital, but she wasn't workin' in the ICU anymore. As a student she had been moved to another course of study at the hospital.

Well, it's almost time for some more chicken. I could use a change, so maybe Paw will boil some lean ground beef for me this evenin'.

All my love to my friends and supporters,
Buster

4 comments:

  1. so happy mr. buster is on the mend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Buster!

    Nice walkin' there, and I love to see your tail wag. You're looking great from a distance.

    I've been throwing up lately too. Mommy and Allison are starting to get worried. Mommy said something about giving me some butter to help me digest stuff. Nothing like people food. :)

    You keep taking your medicine, Bro!

    Your PAL,
    Jade :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lookin' good, Buster! Just don't push it too hard, you don't wanta get sick again.

    ppuurrrrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're doing better. Keep eating and being happy. :)

    ReplyDelete