Monday, October 17, 2011

Gus: Thinking of the shelter dogs.

My mom told me today that October is Adopt A Shelter Dog Month. I think it's important to remind people that there are lots of dogs who need homes. I was one of those dogs twelve years ago. I don't remember much about how I ended up in the shelter 'cause I was just a pup. What I do remember is the smell of chocolate, sugar, brightly colored wrappers and lots of human feet. I'm pretty sure that was before I went to the shelter, 'cause when Mom told me the story of how she found me it all made sense.

Mom stopped by 7-11 to pick up a newspaper. It wasn't the usual 7-11 that she went to. For some reason, and now we know why, Mom went to a different store that day after work. She walked in to find a little tri-colored puppy (me!) cruising the candy aisle sniffing all the goodies. There were plenty of people walking around in the store, but nobody paid much attention to me. The store clerk said she thought someone in a black truck dropped me in the parking lot. She'd tried to keep me out of the store, but I kept sneaking back in. Well, you know Mom, she couldn't leave me there. Dad and she were headed for vacation the next morning, so she took me to the animal shelter where she was a volunteer and asked them to keep a special eye on me. Two weeks later she was told I was adopted. Turns out that was a mistake. It was three months before Mom realized I was still at the shelter. She came to get me immediately. I was so happy to get out of there. I know the workers and volunteers tried to help, but there were so many of us animals that they couldn't give us much individual attention.

I remember the shelter being loud. There were lots of barking dogs and banging food bowls. Every now and then someone who worked there would say, "Hey, buddy," as he cleaned my run or fed me. I also remember that it wasn't very comfortable. The towel provided me wasn't much protection from the cold, hard floor. Looking back on my stay at the shelter, I think I know why I have a few nervous tics today. I guess when you have bad experiences as a puppy, you can't help but carry those feelings the rest of your life.

The good news is that my life today is much, much better. In fact, it's almost heaven! I sleep on Mom and Dad's bed, play with my own toys, and get lots of big hugs and kisses.

I love to lie on Mom and Dad's bed with my red Kong, Sebastian Bunny and Molly Meerkat.

My prayer is that all shelter dogs could find a family like mine who will make them feel safe, warm, and loved. If only every home could have a dog and every dog could have a home.

Love,
Gus

***My mom is trying to get the word out about Adopt A Shelter Dog Month, so she wrote about it in the Daily Mail's blog Cap West's Pet City.

8 comments:

  1. Hey, Gus! What a great story. What's chocolate? My mom wrote about it tonight, too, and she got into a fight with a machine last week when it wouldn't give her chocolate she had paid for.

    I hope shelter dogs and cats can all find good homes like the ones we have.

    Your Pal!
    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jade! Chocolate is something yummy for people, especially mommies, but not for doggies. I didn't know any better when I was a pup. Good thing I didn't eat any of it. Chocolate can make us doggies sick.

    Mom told me she read your mom's blog and and said she could relate to it. I've seen Mom scrounge through cabinets looking for chocolate plenty of times. And if she finds a rogue Hershey's Kiss with almonds (her favorite) she is one happy gal!

    Good to hear from you, pal!

    Your friend,
    Gusaroo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two of our three dogs came from a shelter, along with both of our cats. I love going to our local Humane Society and looking at/playing with all the dogs and cats (I believe we are registered as "volunteers")--it is hard, though, not to want to take them all home!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Gus, We are so happy that your story had a happy ending.We were adopted from a rescue group. We went thru some terrible stuff before Mom brought us home.Flame kitty was adopted too from our vet's office, but Zephyr came from a cat breeder.She still stays in touch with Mom 8 years later. We know how wonderful it is to have a loving home. We wish every furbody did.Beau, Henry, Flame & Zephyr& mom auntbeth54@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way you write in the third person. We send Christmas thank you cards and notes that way it it gives our four dogs a personality and voice. We posted your blog on our blog site as one we follow. Thanks to Mother Earth News we get viewers from all over the world now. Hope some see your blog and check you out too. Keep up the good work...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found out the candy shop...what a SWEET story. I don't know how your mom could resist calling you SNICKERS or MILKY WAY. No matter what, I know you are a LIFESAVER and she gives you lots of KISSES. Hugs, Peggy and Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sending this message to all of my blog followers. At my mom's request, I have indefinitely privatized my blog. If you would like to keep reading, send me a request, and I will add you as a reader of my blog. Thanks! :)

    ~Joy Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone for your kind and very clever comments! And, Bruce, a special thank you for letting your readers know about The Doggy Diary. thanks again for following us!

    DogMom

    ReplyDelete