Saturday, October 1, 2011

Gus: Feeling my age.

I'm having some trouble getting around these days. I guess that's to be expected when you're 12 1/2 in dog years. It's getting hard to climb the stairs, go down the stairs, walk across smooth surfaces, lie down, get up ... well, you get the idea.

Mom and Dad are doing all they can to help me out. To make me feel more secure they guide me on the steps and put down carpet treads so I won't slip. They ordered new orthopedic beds because my arthritic joints ache and I can never seem to get comfortable. (The beds are for Buster, too, because he also has arthritis.) The elevated doggy bowls make dinnertime easier because I don't have to lower my head to eat.

I've been taking medicine for a while now and it still works, but not quite like it used to. That's why we might try something new - a laser treatment that Dr. Sarah now offers at her veterinary clinic. Mom is going to investigate the procedure to see if it's right for me. It requires about 20 minutes or so three times a week for two weeks, then only once a week for a while, I think. It's not supposed to hurt and should help take away some of my joint pain. My consultation with Dr. Sarah is Monday afternoon. Mom said she's going to first talk to her about my breathing. It's pretty labored. We're not sure why. Could be from the pain of my arthritis. Could be a lung problem. I don't know. I do know that my Mom and Dad are doing everything they can think of to make me comfortable. I get to sleep on their bed anytime I want. They let me walk outside in the front yard off leash when they are gardening, washing their cars or checking the mail. Best of all, they pet me, rub me, hug me and tell me they love me all day long. I do feel loved, that's for sure.

Wish me luck on my appointment Monday.

Love,
Gus xoxo

Here I am on Mom and Dad's bed dreaming sweet dreams.

3 comments:

  1. Sweet, sweet Gus, Well, old-age isn't for sissys is it? Pretty darn tough stuff. I am so sorry for your pain, I hope something will help you. And your breathing problem too. Poor Gus, what awful things to contend with at the same time. :0( The new beds might help some. Gosh, how we humans wish we could take away our animal buddies pain & suffering. It is so hard to watch.I will think positive prayers for you on Monday. auntbeth54@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gus,
    We are praying for you and that the Dr. will be able to help. We know how hard it is when you get up in age, but it sounds as if your Mom & Dad are doing everything possible to take care of you and make you comfortable.
    We know God watches over all living things and we know he is watching over you.

    Sheila & Bob
    Mom & Dad to
    Hamish & Rescue Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you, Gus, that everything will go well!

    We have senior pets too--three dogs, two cats--and they have trouble getting around. Sadie (13 yr Golden Retriever) has arthritis; one of her biggest challenges is getting in and out of our minivan to go to the vet.

    ReplyDelete