Thursday, June 9, 2011

Buster: I've got spring in my step!

With the weather bein' so nice, Maw and I have gotten back into a regular habit of takin' evenin' walks. Boy, has it been fun! She lets me walk at my own pace, which is much faster than hers in the beginnin'. I can't help it. It just feels so good smellin' all the smells and seein' the different sights that I can get goin' at a purdy good clip. The neighbors even commented that I look just like a Tennessee Walker! I usually like to walk for about 20 or 30 minutes, dependin' on how hot it is. Lil' Abby does a good job and can keep up a perky pace for nearly an hour on a cool night. Now, my bubby Huck, he can go a lot longer than any of us. He could probably go for hours!

When Maw finishes walkin' with me that's when she takes out Abby and Huck. I get to go first 'cause I'm older. Gus has unsteady, arthritic legs, so he isn't one for long walks. He gets special off-leash privileges in our front yard, though. Maw and Paw know he won't go anywhere. He likes the comforts of home too much! Now, Hobbit, well, walkin' ain't exactly his favorite thing. He just prefers to wander at his own pace, and that pace ain't what I call roadrunner fast. Maw and Paw let him check out the front yard off-leash ever' now and then. He always seems to venture toward the bushes. He's a funny little feller.

My Maw says exercise is very important for both humans and dogs. It can keep your body strong and your mind happy. She came across a neat website about different ways to exercise dogs. She found one bit of information especially helpful. You see, sometimes Maw worries when we come across another dog on a walk, so she doesn't let us meet. She says the other dog might not be friendly. Maw admits she's being overprotective, but now realizes that it's best to let us doggies say hello 'cause it helps fine-tune our doggy language while enhancin' the quality of our walkin' experience. Well, I say it's just plain fun to meet new friends!

It's time for my walk with Maw right now!

Happy Trails!

Buster

3 comments:

  1. Buster,
    Hi, my name is Sadie and I'm a 12-year-old Golden Retriever. My owner, Joy, read about you in the Guideposts magazine and decided to check out your blog (she has a blog, too). She showed it to me, and I think it's great (sure wish I could have a blog). I'm excited about the warm weather, too--although here it is REALLY warm. I think Joy said it was 97 degrees yesterday!
    Anyway, I've enjoyed looking at your blog!
    Sadie
    P.S. Everest and Ginger, the dogs I live with, looked at your blog, too. They think it's really great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sadie! My maw loves golden retrievers. She says they have beautiful eyes and look like they are smilin' all the time. I bet you have a purdy eyes and a nice smile, too. I'm really glad you stopped by and that you liked what you read! Would you mind sharing your blog address? I'm sure Maw would love to check it out.

    Tell Everest, Ginger and Miss Joy I said hello.

    Your friend,
    Buster

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buster,
    Sorry it took so long for me to write you back, but Joy's mother's computer hasn't been working well lately! Here's the address: http://joycarolinelive4him.blogspot.com/
    Sadie

    ReplyDelete