Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Huck: Mmmm! Daisies!

My mama planted flowers a few days ago. Pretty red ones with lots of petals! There were some other flowers in the planter that were purple and white, but it was those tall red ones that caught my eye. Mama calls them gerbera daisies. She said she chose them because they are safe for doggies to eat. But then she said that just because they are safe to eat does not mean that I am allowed to eat them. I just couldn't help myself, though. I'm still a puppy. Besides it's so much fun to snap the flower heads off the stalks! In the beginning there were four daisies in the planter and now there are three stalks and one half of a daisy flower. My mama caught me eating that last one and told me to stop. You know what? I haven't touched them since. I am a smart boy!

Mama said she always makes sure to plant doggy-safe flowers. She did some research and found a list on the ASPCA website that shows which plants are good and which plants are bad for doggies. Other than gerbera daisies some of the flowers that Mama likes to plant are petunias and pansies. She said there are a lot of flowers that she wishes she could plant, though, such as dahlias, geraniums, peonies, lantana, and vinca. But she said as long as my brothers and sister and I are safe it doesn't matter if the deck planters are full of the usual summer blooms. Thanks, Mama!

Well, I'm off to see what else I can find in our yard.

Love,
Huckleberry Flower Boy

Here I am with what's left of that one gerber daisy.

Here I am with the pot of flowers that I didn't eat. Aren't the red daisies pretty?!

9 comments:

  1. Hi-my name is Chester. I found out about your blog yesterday when I was readin' Mom's Guidepost magazine. Hobbit's picture caught my eye 'cuz Mom's friend at work has a Jack Russell dawg who needs an operation 'cuz his eye is broke and well, they're gonna have to take it out now and stitch it up. She showed the article to her friend, I think it made him feel better about his dawg. I think Hobbit looks just fine and so do your flowers. I ate one of them once when Mom took me to her friends house to introduce my puppy self to them. So anyway, it's funny we both live in DogBlogville and never met until I saw the Guideposts article. Thanks for the dangerous flower list-I'll make sure Mom gets a copy and shares it with all her dawg friends.

    Woofs and shareable slobbers,
    Chester ;0=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pee. Ess. - Mom thinks you are quite a handsome hound! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful lovely GUIDEPOSTS story...thank you for helping those who cannot help themselves and God bless you both (and all doggys!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Chester!

    Wow, tell your mom "thanks" for her nice compliment. I'm flattered! I'm so glad that she was able to use Hobbit's story to help a friend. My mama is very touched by that. I'm sure that little doggy will adjust just fine to the loss of his eye, but we'll still say a little prayer for him. Please come back and visit again!

    Your buddy,
    Huck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous,

    Thank you for taking the time to write about the Guideposts article and for visiting The Doggy Diary! Your support and kind words mean so very much. Please visit again!

    Blessings to you!

    Caroline, aka DogMom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Huck!

    My sisters and I don't eat flowers, but if mom sees us eating grass or pine needles--look out!

    I do love fresh cat nip, though! Your momma grow any of that?

    Hi to all my doggie friends!

    Your Pal,
    Jade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kids...we stopped by the other day, but blogger was being difficult...it wouldn't let us leave a comment...we are at holyterriers.blogspot.com.

    Looks like your mom has a serious green thumb...I wonder what trouble we three could get into with an opposable thumb...

    Kisses from Pittsburgh...

    Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley but mostly Lacie as I RUN OUR BLOG and only let the boyz type when I feel like it...which isn't very often....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm...somethings the matter with blogger again...it's not letting us post on your blog by our google account...only as anonymous...I've never had that happen before...yesterday it wouldn't let us post here at all...GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

    Lacie's Mumsie

    Pee ess...pay no attention to her...she's a um bit of a FLIRT. Watch out boys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Lacie! Wow! You sure are a cutie! I like your Sports Illustrated cover!

    I'll be sure to tell Mama about the trouble your Mumsie has been having getting onto our blog. That's frustrating! I hope you those problems don't happen again.

    By the way, Mama was in your neck of the woods yesterday. She was in Morgantown visiting her mom and 100-year-old grandma.

    Ttyl!
    Your buddy Huck

    ReplyDelete