Friday, May 27, 2011

Abby: Counting my blessings.


I feel so bad for the people and animals in Joplin, Missouri. My mommy tells me they had a very bad tornado hit their town and that many of them didn't survive. And the ones who did survive? I understand they have to stay in temporary shelters because their homes are no longer standing.

This makes me realize I should count my blessings. I am thankful that I live in a warm and cozy home with a mommy and daddy who love me very much. I'm never lonely because I have four brothers to play with anytime I want. There is a big grassy backyard for me to run in and long walks to look forward to in the evenings. And then, when Mommy and Daddy go away on  vacation, I get to stay with Aunt Mary and Uncle Mike. They give me lots of love and attention. They also have five dogs that I get to play with. Oh, we have so much fun!

But things haven't been so good for the animals affected by the devastating tornadoes and flooding that recently hit the south and midwest. Thankfully, the HSUS and the ASPCA and are working to rescue and reunite pets with their families. HSUS has a video explaining how they went about helping dogs and cats after the big tornado hit Tuscaloosa, Alabama, a few weeks ago. The ASPCA blog reported that within just a few days after the tornado hit Joplin more than 60 pets had been reunited with their families! I am so happy there are people in this world dedicated to helping animals in need.

Thank you, God, for my home and my family. I feel very blessed. And, God, please bring safety, comfort and peace to the families and their pets who have lost so much in recent weeks.

Love,
Abby

8 comments:

  1. Abby,

    You are so sweet. Thank you for reminding us all to count our blessings and to help others in need. Right now, I'm trying to teach my sister how to use the cat door to come into our house from outside in the garage, but that's minor to what you're talking about.

    I'm so glad there're people who help each other and animals who are displaced after storms. Thanks for the links for more information.

    Your Pal,
    Jade :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog just now after reading your article in the June 2011 issue of Guideposts magazine. I so enjoyed the article and I will definitely be following The Doggy Diary. May God continue to bless you and your husband for taking care of these wonderful dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg,

    Thank you so much for taking the time to write! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the article and that you will be following The Doggy Diary. Your kind words are very much appreciated and I will be sure to pass them along to my husband the DogDad.

    Blessings,
    Caroline, aka DogMom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jade,

    I can sometimes be seen as the instigator around the house, so I thought it was important to share my softer side. I'm really not a troublemaker, it's just that I have A LOT of energy!

    You are such a faithful reader, Jade. You've been with us since the beginning and we thank you!

    Good luck on training your sister. I find that my brothers tend to ignore me when I attempt to manage them. I hope your sister is more receptive to your guidance.

    Your friend,

    Abby Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    Like Meg, I found your blog after reading the June 2011 issue of Guideposts. I absolutely love animals; I have three dogs and two cats. I also volunteer at a Humane Society. It seems like I just can't get enough of animals! But anyway, I will definitely be following your blog from now on. God bless you and your husband!

    --Joy

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMD...we just read your story in Guideposts...well, our Mumsie read it to us...we're three rather nutty terriers from Pennsylvania...

    We loved the story about Hobbit and your family!!

    We've been dogblogging since 2007 and have made friends from all over the world. This is one caring and commited bunch of people and their pups...or kitties and the occasional hamster!

    It's lovely to meet you kids...a big hello to your mom and dad!!!

    Hugs and Kisses,

    Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley...three terriers from PA

    Oh...by the way this is Lacie...I did see a bit of myself in your Annie...I NEVER let the boyz get too close to Mumsie unless I feel like doing so...I am the undisputed boss of this house...we girlies rule!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joy,

    Thank you for sharing a little bit about yourself. It's wonderful to hear from other animal rescuers.

    Thank you also for visiting our blog. I'm glad you will be following us. I really appreciate your kind words and am thrilled you liked the article.

    Blessings,
    Caroline, aka DogMom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley,

    Hello! Great to hear from some fellow terriers! We live in West Virginia, so we're almost neighbors.

    Lacie, I hear ya sister. Every doggy family needs a girl around to keep the boys in order. "Girlz Rule, Boyz Drool!!" Am I right?!

    I'm so glad you liked the Guideposts article. We are pretty excited about it around here!

    Would you please provide your blog address? We would love to see it!

    xoxo,
    Abby Grace

    ReplyDelete