Monday, May 16, 2011

Gus: Yay for the shelter dogs in Jackson County!

My mom told me a wonderful story today! She said an article in the local newspaper explained that an animal shelter in a neighboring county is adopting out more dogs and cats than ever. In one year they have gone from euthanizing most of the animals there to adopting out 97%! This is such great news to me. I lived in a shelter for three months when I was just a puppy, but then my mom came to get me. I am very lucky. Most shelter animals aren't. If a small group of volunteers in rural Jackson County, W.Va., can make a difference, then why can't the same thing happen at other shelters across the country? My mom said she feels very energized by the success of the ARF workers and wants to see what she can do to help.

Wouldn't it be great if all shelter dogs and cats got the same happy ending that I did? I have a home where I feel safe and loved. I always have a brother or sister to play with, all the stuffed toys a dog could ask for, and a mom and dad who give me kisses and hugs. And one of my favorite things about my home? Sleeping on Mom and Dad's bed any ol' time I want! Yes, I'm lucky. No, I'm blessed. Thank you, God, for taking care of my family and me, and please watch over all the homeless animals.

Love, 
Gussie

1 comment:

  1. You go, Gussy!

    Tell your momma, Amen!

    We are so lucky here, even though we are never satisfied with the condition of our cat boxes, but hey--what cat ever is?

    We weren't in shelters, but there were too many kittens in my litter. I shudder to think what would have happened to Blue and me.

    My little sisters, Precious and Bandit, were in the vet's office, and my mommy found them there and brought them home. They would have been safer there than at a shelter, I think, but still, I'm glad mommy rescued them from the vet.

    I mean--come on--who wants to live at a vet's office? Scary!

    Cheers to your mom--and she knows why. :)

    All my best to you and your siblings.

    Your Pal,
    Jade :)

    ReplyDelete